Dominican Sisters Commit to Work on Climate Change Impacts
Climate Justice Calls us to Seek Sustainable Life Habits
Amityville, Blauvelt, Hope, Sparkill, NY and Caldwell, NJ: Five congregations of Dominican Sisters–the Dominican Sisters in Committed Collaboration–join their voices and efforts to reduce their carbon footprint and build more sustainable lifestyles. Speaking and acting on behalf of Earth systems, essential for the continuation of life, is an important element in the work of justice inherent in the life of a Dominican Sister. By joining together to speak as one voice, organizing actions to protect the environment, and advocating for policies that protect the most vulnerable among us and our environment, the Sisters join the growing number of individuals and families in the Climate Change Movement.
In instituting this Corporate Stance on Climate Change, the Sisters commit to:
- Lending our individual and collective voice to those efforts, consistent with our Catholic faith and the Dominican search for truth, that seek to mitigate the effects of Climate Change.
- Changes in lifestyle individually and collectively that will reduce our carbon footprint upon the planet and encourage others to do the same in our homes, at places of work, at the institutions where we have influence and in our communities of worship.
- Educating ourselves, family, friends, neighbors and colleagues about global warming and ways to address this challenge.
- Joining like-minded groups to mobilize awareness and action toward a more sustainable future by working for systemic change and legislation to protect the environment and the community of life.
- Making responsible investments, supporting the development of sustainable energies and advocating for more environmentally responsible corporate policies and practices.
This corporate stance binds us, individually and corporately, to make decisions that protect our environment, to take actions that make our daily lives less harmful to the environment, and to invite others to understand that protection of Earth systems is essential for insuring a healthy planet for future generations.
Make A Donation:
If you would like to contribute to the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill
by making a donation, please click here.